If I were to complete on of those “What are your Favorites” lists, my favorite TV show of all time is Seinfeld, and based on the fact that you can still watch it any day of the week 15 years after it finished, I am not alone. When the shows were new there was very little that would keep me from seeing it on Thursday nights. Some say it wasn’t as good in the later years but I always liked it. There are classic episodes from every season in my opinion. I can remember when it first came on and I would watch it and no one else had really caught on to it yet, so I didn’t have anyone to laugh with about it. That changed though and how many of the catch phrases have become part of our everyday speech? At least in my crowd anyway!
Some of my favorites:
- “Festivas for the restofus”
- “Not that there’s anything wrong with that”
- The big salad
- “Get Out” – Elaine
- The bubble boy
- It’s a Junior Mint!
- “No soup for you!”
- The puffy shirt
- Are you spongeworthy?
- Muffin top – which I don’t know if they made that up, but it sure is used a lot now!
- “Serenity Now” Frank Costanza
- The summer of (fill in the blank) – it was the summer of George in the show
- These pretzels are making me thirsty!
- Maybe the dingo ate your baby (said in Aussie)
- “It’s a marble rye”
- The Kenny Rogers Roaster – which may have been a real place in the States
- and of course The Contest, one of the funniest ever.
And so many more that pop into your head, sometimes at inappropriate times, but are so right on the money.
If you are in need of some original Seinfeld you have to start following “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”, now in it’s second season. I wait every Thursday for the new online episode and have not been disappointed yet. It’s Jerry interviewing other comics one on one. Really worth your time.
Wonder if there is a repeat one now that I can catch…